In June I wrote a blog about some new opportunities that I had come across when looking for work I could do from home. I was very excited at the potential I found. Today, I have decided that the opportunity I found, commonly known as network marketing, is just not for me.
The opportunities are there and real people are making real money with them, but the catch is that you have to be a certain type of person to be successful at it. It’s like being a mechanic, doctor, graphic designer, etc. Not everyone is cut out for it. I’m not good at it, I don’t enjoy it and I wasn’t successful with it.
There seems to be a magical combination of attitudes necessary for success in network marketing. You have to like to hustle for the money you earn. I’m not talking about a dishonest hustle, I’m just saying that you have to be always thinking about your money and how best to get it into your pocket. You have to always be on the lookout for the next thing but able, at the same time, to discern when the next thing is not a good thing. You have to be able to talk to hundreds of people about your opportunity and no matter what they say about it, you have to maintain a positive attitude. You have to be able to handle rejection far better than I can. You have to be willing to take risks and you have to be able to figure out where to invest your money for the best payoff.
Some people do this by absorbing everything they can about their business and putting that knowledge to work and working the programs with integrity and others do it by lying. Some, accomplish it with a combination of the two and if you were like me there was some combination of learning the business, trying to be honest about it and faking it until I made it (not a good combo – by the way).
As much as I love the products and the idea of network marketing, I am just truly not good at it and the products DO NOT sell themselves. There is no magic video or capture page that will flood your inbox with signups and your checking account with cash. There are ways to be successful but it is not easy work and it is not get rich quick work. You have to like the work, you have to be willing to be persistent and you have to be able to keep moving forward through the rejections and frustrations. 97% of people who start network marketing are unsuccessful at it. The other 3% are generally WILDLY successful.
I’m not knocking the business of network marketing. It is a good and viable way to make a living, I’m just saying it’s not for me. I’m not disciplined enough and I don’t like feeling like I am always chasing the money down. I am not a sales person and I am terrible with rejection.
I intend to keep my membership to MCA because I like the benefits and the occasional sign up but I’m not prepared or capable of teaching others how to be successful with it. That alone is too stressful to me to continue. I plan to leave all my resources available and I truly hope that they will help someone be successful but I can’t handle the pressure of feeling responsible for those who sign up under me. If I had become successful at the business, I am sure that I would have loved the teaching and leadership part of it, but I just have no good answer when someone asks me how much money I’ve made in the last six months and I just won’t lie about it.
When I was looking for this opportunity and when I allowed myself to be distracted by it, my family was desperately in need of money. We have since been truly blessed in our finances and Don is making enough money now that I can go back to what I love doing and working on making my online businesses successful.
I have met some great people over the last six months and intend to stay friends with them, but I am hanging up the network marketing hat and going back to design work. I wish all my network marketing friends the best in all they do, it’s just not my thing.